Tuesday, July 3, 2007

victory: my dear husband loves my cooking

you know that you cooked a fabulous dinner when your husband is still talking about it the next morning!!! the vast majority of the time my dear husband loves my cooking, really! -this is something he is very happy about and i am very proud of!! on rare occasions, we have a very honest and open conversation any time he doesn't particularly like something... it goes sort of like this:
me: hey babe, did you like the [food] that i made?
dear husband: hmm, i'm still evaluating
me: well, let me know after you've had a few more bites.
(a little while later) me: so, what's your verdict?
dear husband: well, it's not my favorite.
me: can you tell me what you did or didn't like about it so i can learn to serve you better, seeing as though i will be cooking your food for the rest of your life?
dear husband: sure, [fill in his food comments here]

anyway... here is the recipe that he REALLY enjoyed last night. I have no idea where I got this recipe, so I am sorry to not give the original chef any props, but I would definitely recommend you try this!! (see my notes after the recipe)

German Style Pork Chops with Mushrooms
1 medium onion
1/2 pound mushrooms, halved
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 pork chops
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup dark beer
1/2 cup chicken broth

1. coarsely chop onion
2. in a ziploc bag, combine flour, 1/2 tsp thyme, salt, and pepper. shake to mix.
3. add pork chops to ziploc bag and shake lightly to coat. remove the chops and reserve the excess flour.
4. in a large skillet, warm oil over med-high heat and add chops. cook until well browned (about 7 minutes per side). remove chops and set aside to a plate (cover loosely with foil to keep warm).
5. in the same skillet, cook the onion, mushrooms, and garlic over med-high heat, stirring for about a minute. add 1 tbsp of reserved flour and cook until flour is no longer visible (about a minute).
6. stir in beer, chicken broth, and remaining 1 tsp of thyme and bring to a boil. reduce heat to low, add pork chops, cover, and simmer for eight minutes, turning chops halfway through.
7. uncover skillet and cook for another two minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly and the chops are cooked through.
8. serve with noodles, or potatoes, or rice

sarina's notes (these all worked very well!!): we are out of fresh onions so i used dried chopped onion. i also used canned mushrooms instead of fresh. i only cooked 2 pork chops but used the same amount of sauce. i used boneless skinless fresh pork chops from costco. (we got them on sale, with a coupon and i put them in freezer bags to store!!) also, i didn't use the beer - definitely no loss in flavor there. i served it with rice on the side and fresh zucchini. ENJOY!

No comments: